Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Alon Goldshuv" <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?
Date: 2005-06-02 01:50:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

> Yep, you have to double backslahses coming in as data so we can use
> backslash for marking null, delimiters, etc. I see no way around that,
> and no one since Berkeley has come up with one either. If you have an
> idea, we would _love_ to hear it.

Apropos to the previous thread on escape processing, IMEO it needs to be
switchable (e.g. No default of "\" as the escape character, escape
processing not done by default). Otherwise lots of data loading scenarios
(e.g. virtually all weblog sources) break in nasty ways.

The remedy to date has been to perform extended preprocessing of the data to
"pre-escape process" the data so that it will pass through the default
escape processing of the PostgreSQL copy processing.

I propose an extended syntax to COPY with a change in semantics to remove
the default of "WITH ESCAPE '\'".

- Luke