Re: Issue with OS X

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sgul(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Jamie Deppeler <jamie(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issue with OS X
Date: 2005-06-01 08:47:16
Lists: pgsql-general

You will need to modify your shared memory settings or change your
shared_buffers parameter in the postgresql.conf file. (Most likely need to
increase SHMMAX as the default for OSX is quite low as I recall)

Take a look here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/kernel-resources.html

There is a section on MacOSX about half way down the page

HTH

Adam

> Hi,
> I am trying to install postgresql 8 on a G5 OS X machine and cannot get
> past this error i have tried changing the shared buffer with no luck.
>
> Error message:
> /usr/local/pgsql/data postgres$ FATAL: could not create shared memory
> segment: Invalid argument
>
> DETAIL: Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=10338304, 03600).
>
> HINT: This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
> memory segment exceeded your kernel's SHMMAX parameter. You can either
> reduce the request size or reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMMAX.
> To reduce the request size (currently 10338304 bytes), reduce
> PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 1000) and/or its
> max_connections parameter (currently 100).
>
> If the request size is already small, it's possible that it is
> less than your kernel's SHMMIN parameter, in which case raising the
> request size or reconfiguring SHMMIN is called for.
>
> The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about
> shared memory configuration.

believed to be clean.