Re: Can't pg_dumpall, claims database exists twice

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't pg_dumpall, claims database exists twice
Date: 2005-03-28 18:05:40
Lists: pgsql-general

> Now how the heck did that happen? That's not some kind of weird UPDATE
> failure, because the rows have different OIDs ... it seems like the
> newer row must have been explicitly inserted, and it should surely have
> been blocked by the unique index on datname. Are there subdirectories
> under $PGDATA/base for both of those OIDs?

No, in fact there is only template1, template0, and 1 of the pedcard
instances. Am I right that this simplifies things greatly? That what I have
here is a single database with all the data in it, and some phantom entry in
pg_database that cannot possibly be used anywhere since it lacks associated
data files?

Could you give me an outline of how to clean this up? Should I be looking at
other catalog info to see if there are components of the db that are also
duplicated? Or should I just delete the bogus pg_database entry, then dump
and restore?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com