Re: invalid OID warning after disk failure

From: Gabriel Sánchez Martínez <gabrielesanchez(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Raghu Ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: invalid OID warning after disk failure
Date: 2014-11-17 13:10:13
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 3:28, Raghu Ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Gabriel Sánchez Martínez <gabrielesanchez(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> The situation appears to be stable now, but upon running REINDEX and VACUUM on one of the databases, I get the following:
>>
>> WARNING: relation "pg_attrdef" TID 1/1: OID is invalid
>> WARNING: relation "pg_attrdef" TID 1/2: OID is invalid
>> WARNING: relation "pg_attrdef" TID 1/3: OID is invalid
>>
>> Should I drop the database and restore it from a backup? My most recent backup is from late September, so I would lose some data. I also backed up what I could as soon as the disks started giving errors, but I don't know if I can trust that.
>>
>> Should I drop the entire cluster?
>
> are you receiving any kind of error messages,while taking database dump with "pg_dump" utility.

I am getting these when running vacuum on the live database. Earlier I ran pg_dump. It was not working for the whole database due to I/O errors, so i did a series of more selective dumps, schema by schema and excluding the offending tables, so that I didn't get any errors or warnings. In the live database I dropped the few tables that were responsible for the pg_dump errors.