Re: backups

From: <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: <jearl(at)bullysports(dot)com>, Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backups
Date: 2004-06-30 23:23:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/30/04 11:59 AM, "jearl(at)bullysports(dot)com" <jearl(at)bullysports(dot)com> wrote:

> You don't want to back files in the pgdata directory directly.
> Instead you want to use pg_dump to create a snapshot of your database
> and use that as your backup.

That's great for a small to medium database, but doesn't work worth a hoot
for large databases. With several hundred million to over a billion rows,
the pg_dump isn't too bad, but I can't wait days for the reload to complete.
While replication may be an option to avoid shutting the primary DB down, we
currently have to shut down the database and do file system dumps (full
weekly, incrementals nightly). Even with replication, we'd need to shut
down the shadow DB and do a file system backup - a replicate doesn't protect
you against replicated garbage. We are also investigating using file system
snapshots - shut the DB down, snapshot, bring it back up.

I'm looking forward to point in time recovery...

What do other sites with mondo databases do?

Wes