Re: How much of data constraints on database is enough?

From: Chris Mungall <cjm(at)fruitfly(dot)org>
To: "Miho Ishikura" <mihoishikura(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How much of data constraints on database is enough?
Date: 2008-01-16 06:24:37
Lists: sfpug

Hi Miho

Good question. The blah answer is that is depends on the application.

Of course, this isn't very satisfactory. Another answer may be that
keeping logic close to the data is not very fashionable. Ad-hoc ORMs
that lack solid theoretical foundations are in fashion. These have
the effect of fooling application developers into thinking they need
to know nothing about the relational model. They get to write great
swathes of OO code where simple declarative query statements would
suffice.

This is still an unsatisfactory answer. My answer would be that
whilst I think that in principle declarative programming and keeping
logic close to the data is to be preferred, SQL and procedural PL/SQL
type languages do the relational model a disservice. Nothing against
the pg one in particular, it's the procedural aspect that is
troublesome. It would be nice to have more expressive power whilst
staying within the relational/logical paradigm.