Re: Postgres tuning?

From: <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Simon Windsor <simon(dot)windsor(at)cornfield(dot)org(dot)uk>, Postgres List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres tuning?
Date: 2004-06-29 23:01:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/29/04 4:30 PM, "Simon Windsor" <simon(dot)windsor(at)cornfield(dot)org(dot)uk> wrote:

> I am in the process of converting a small multi-user application from
> MySQL, and most queries are performing better. The only noticeable
> exception is a batch load, which is half the speed of MySQL version.

If you're talking about loading up and array and telling it to load the
array with a single INSERT, you can't do that. You have to insert a record
at a time. I wish it were possible - I could really use it.

The closest thing is COPY. I've been told COPY does such a bulk load. The
down side of COPY is that you have to know the column order - ok for initial
loads, but dangerous for application usage.

> begin;
> insert into ... (repeat a few thousand to million times)
> commit;

This does not accomplish the bulk load - it only makes all of the inserts
part of a single transaction for atomic commit or rollback.

Wes