pgHoster.com woes and looking for a new host

From: Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)gallery44(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgHoster.com woes and looking for a new host
Date: 2004-06-23 18:50:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

Does anyone else here host their sites with pgHoster.com? More to the point,
does anyone know what's happened to them?

We switched our site to them a couple of months ago and while everything was
fine for the first month, during the last few weeks it all went straight to
hell. I'll spare you the story, but the current state of things is that our
site's been down for a week, support has been nonexistent, e-mails to the
company bounce, and as of today *their* site is down. And lucky us, we
prepaid for a year. :-(

This is the third web host we've been through. At the first, their versions
of PHP and PostgreSQL were way out of date and getting tech support of any
kind was like pulling teeth. The second claimed they supported PostreSQL
while courting the gallery and then once we'd signed up said oops, sorry, we
actually only support MySQL. And now the third appears to have disappeared.

Obviously we need a new host, but at this point, given our past experiences,
I'm a little gunshy. Does anyone know of a host that supports PostgreSQL
*and* is actually stable, reliable, and has good, or at least existent, tech
support? And is affordable enough for a non-profit art gallery with a
relatively small site and smaller budget to handle?

Thanks,

Lynna

--
Resource Centre Database Coordinator