Postgresql global directory

From: "HOWARD,EDWARD T,III" <ETHoward(at)mail(dot)ifas(dot)ufl(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql global directory
Date: 2004-12-21 17:34:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I have a doozy of a problem. Had a dataserver crash hard (it
was hacked and the root kit used broke a lot of files), this happened
after a motherboard went on my backup server, corrupting my backup set.
We have gotten most of the data recovered, however the control files.
Pg_control, x_log, c_log, and the entire global directory has been
dumped into lost+found.

So my question is this. Does anybody know how to create a new global
directory using an existing data set (that was not created by dump)? I
do not have a dump of the data, that would be too easy. My outdated
postgres book says this can be done by using -t with pg_ctrl....however,
with the later versions of postgresql, they have taken that switch out.
I have tried googling it and have come up empty.

I'm using postgresql version 7.2.2-1

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Ed Howard
Systems Administrator
G120 McCarty Hall
392-1881 ext. 319
ethoward(at)mail(dot)ifas(dot)ufl(dot)edu