Concatenating strings

From: "Fredrik Thunberg" <fredrik(at)datessa(dot)se>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Concatenating strings
Date: 2001-10-23 09:10:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all.

How do you add two strings in sql?

I have a name field in one of my tables and all the names are in uppercase
(like "FREDRIK").
I want to get the names in the usual format (First letter capitalized)
"Fredrik". How
do I do that?

I've tried:

SELECT SubStr(fname,1,1) + Lower(SubStr(fname,2,100)) FROM employee;

But '+' doesn't seem to work.

If you can't concatenate two strings, any other idea how to do this?

/Fredrik Thunberg
Datessa AB
+46733177128
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I intended to be."
-Douglas Adams