Re: Crash in postgres/linux on verly large database

From: <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>, Bernhard Ankenbrand <b(dot)ankenbrand(at)media-one(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Crash in postgres/linux on verly large database
Date: 2004-04-07 03:16:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/6/04 5:36 PM, "Gregory S. Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com> wrote:

> we have a table width about 60.000.000 entrys and about 4GB storage size.
> When creating an index on this table the whole linux box freezes and the
> reiser-fs file system is corrupted on not recoverable.
>
> Does anybody have experience with this amount of data in postgres 7.4.2?
> Is there a limit anywhere?

This may or may not have anything to do with your problem, but I have seen
issues with the 2.4.x kernel where kscand goes ape under heavy I/O. In the
cases I've seen, the system appears to freeze for a period of time (15-30
seconds) while kscand goes nuts, then the system takes off again for a
while, freezes, etc... Upgrading to the 2.6 kernel solved our problem.

I assume you gave it plenty of time before hitting the button?

Wes