Re: 7.4.2 on Solaris 9 - Error

From: <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes <csepulveda(at)atichile(dot)com>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4.2 on Solaris 9 - Error
Date: 2004-03-29 18:54:25
Lists: pgsql-general

>> bash-2.05$ gcc -pthread
>> gcc: unrecognized option `-pthread'
>> gcc: no input files
>>
>> which seems to indicate you are right. I am kind of surprised. Some
>> platforms to take -pthread, some -lpthread, so I am pretty sure it was
>> specified by the original Solaris guy.

> there are also platforms using -pthreads, -kthread, -Kthread, -mthreads,
> -mt and --thread-safe ... with dependancies on other compiler flags like
> -D_REENTRANT, -D_THREAD_SAFE, order dependencies (like need to check for
> pthreads before -lpthread on AIX) and sometimes resulting in a different
> compiler program called alltogether.

The compiler in question here is GCC. The existing IF statement already
specified -lpthread for the Solaris compiler. It was specifying -pthread
for GCC, which was incorrect - GCC says it is an unrecognized option.
Surely GCC on AIX isn't going to have the -pthread option, is it? Don't
know - I've never run GCC on AIX...

I think the remaining outstanding question for Solaris is -D_THREAD_SAFE.
Based on your research, -D_REENTRANT is needed for errno to be defined
properly, so it was added. But, -D_THREAD_SAFE is still not specified. Is
it needed or not needed?

Wes