Re: How do I get started?

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: dorin(at)chaski(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do I get started?
Date: 2006-07-26 00:52:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Jul 25, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Mike Dorin wrote:

> I would like to create a small client on a small
> embedded
> microprocessor. The device has Ethernet and can
> do TCP or UDP with a bit of finesse.
>
> I would like the client to shove events into a
> database.
>
> What should I read to get started?

The easiest way to go is to use libpq, assuming you can compile it
for your microprocessor.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq.html

If not, you can communicate with PostgreSQL via the frontend/backend
protocol with nothing more than a TCP stream:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/protocol.html

This is a lot more work, but the protocol is not too hard to
implement. There are various open source versions in different
languages which might help you get started.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL