Re: [HACKERS] Updatable views

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Updatable views
Date: 2006-08-24 19:08:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

--On Donnerstag, August 24, 2006 11:02:43 -0500 Jaime Casanova
<systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Actually the code delete implicit rules based on a field added to
> pg_rewrite but that catalog has a unique index on ev_class, rulename:
> "pg_rewrite_rel_rulename_index" UNIQUE, btree (ev_class, rulename)
>
> i guess bernd's comment is about this index giving an error if we try
> to insert the new rule with the same name on the same event...

No, this wasn't the problem, since we are going to drop any implicit
rule that collides with an user defined one (however, this approach is
discussable, but nobody has put his comments on this yet and i think this
is important for backwards compatibility). I don't think we need ev_kind in
the
index at all, in my opinion implicit and user defined rules of the same
event
shouldn't live together (_RETURN rules are marked as implicit ones now, too)

--
Thanks

Bernd