Impact of UNICODE encoding on performance

From: Harry Mantheakis <harry(at)mantheakis(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Impact of UNICODE encoding on performance
Date: 2004-03-16 10:43:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello

I am just setting out on a new project, having recently switched to
PostgreSQL.

My immediate requirements would be satisfied with ISO-8859-1 (LATIN-1)
encoding, but it is conceivable that, if things go really well, somewhere in
the future my character encoding requirements will broaden.

So I am tempted to specify UNICODE form the outset, and be done with it.

But I cannot help wondering how much of a performance penalty this entails.

If the performance hit is not significant, I shall be happy to stick with
UNICODE.

But if anyone has any strong views (or experience) on this issue I shall be
very grateful for some feedback.

Many thanks.

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK