Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date: 2003-10-27 08:54:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 27/10/03 5:46 am, "John DeSoi" <jd(at)icx(dot)net> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 11:13 PM, Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:
>

>> I remember there was a subtle bug in earlier versions corrected after
>> beta4. Can you try beta5 and see if it works for you? But with beta4
>> get 400/20 instead of 300/50, so this is probably not the same problem.
>
> I mentioned earlier in the thread -- I did try beta5 -- same result.
>

>> 1000/100 are actually the largest probed values, so maybe initdb is
>> failing to probe or the postgresql.conf is not written correctly. Does
>> the initdb output actually say that it is going to use 1000/100? And
>> is
>> the generated postgresql.conf by that initdb run the file that gets
>> actually used?
>>

> I don't recall seeing the initdb output, but I'm sure the generated
> postgresql.conf is the one being used. I lowered max_connections and
> saw lower numbers in the failed request when I tried to start the
> server.

My current settings are

max_connections = 32
shared_buffers = 100

But the settings picked automatically by the installation were

max_connections = 50
shared_buffers = 300

But I found this would not always start as I often have lots of applications
open (this is my laptop) and I had trouble running both 7.3 and 7.4beta5 at
the same time

Cheers

Adam

believed to be clean.