Re: mac install question

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "epicwinter(at)hotmail(dot)com" <epicwinter(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mac install question
Date: 2008-07-23 21:08:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 23 Jul 2008, at 21:47, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org writes:
>> Thanks for the log. It shows that the otool utility couldn't be found
>> (which should be a fatal error but that's another issue.
>
>> Is the otool program on your system anywhere? Afaik, it should be on
>> any Mac, but maybe it's part of xcode (i hope not- can anyone
>> confirm?)
>
> Looks like you lose. I'm not sure where to look for definitive
> package
> contents on Macs, but the file timestamp on /usr/bin/otool shows it
> was
> built at the same time as ar, as, gcc, gprof, size, RezWack, and a
> bunch
> of other /usr/bin programs that look like they'd only come as part of
> xcode not in the base install.
>
> What are you using it for that you need it to be present at install
> time?

The linker hardcodes library paths into exes and libs. We examine
these paths at install time using otool and rewrite them from the
staging paths on the build machine to whatever directory the user
chose to install to using install_name_tool(1).

The other option would be to rewrite the paths to be relative at build
time I guess.

/D