one-to-one

From: Michael Grant <soft(at)bdanube(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: one-to-one
Date: 2003-08-21 14:59:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Does anyone have any opinions or comments on one-to-one relationships? I'm
working on developing a single-table database I inherited into something
that I hope will be a little more useful. The database contains records of
individuals including both members and non-members of our organization.
There are a number of attributes that apply only to members--orientation
date, officer status and such--and I'm wondering whether it might make sense
to have a separate table just for members with those fields rather than
cluttering up the general table for individuals with attributes that won't
apply to many of them. Then I'd use a one-to-one join when I need to
retrieve both general and membership-specific data. What are the pros and
cons of this approach?

Thanks for any comments.

Michael

--
"Place a dirty shirt or some rags in an open pot or barrel containing a few
grains of wheat or some wheat bran, and in 21 days, mice will appear. There

- Jan Baptista van Helmont, 16th century