Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

From: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Terence Chang <TChang(at)nqueue(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-07-15 15:44:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

First of all, let me say that I am not frustrated with PostgreSQL at all :-)

> 1. What is your favorite GUI tool for PostgreSQL?

None. I mostly use psql, but did some work with dbvisualizer.

> 2. In your organization, do you have someone who works as full time
> PostgreSQL DBA?

No. I'm freelance and self-taught. I do my best but I don't think I qualify
as a true DBA.

> 3. What is the biggest challenge you have with PostgreSQL? Administration or
> Programming?

Administration is quite straighforward, but stored procedure look rather
daunting and I haven't tried them yet. I'm sure many on the list will say
I'm wrong :-)

> 4. Overall, do you like PostgreSQL? Would you recommend it over MySQL?

It's way better than MySQL. My only regret is that so few ISPs have it. I am
often obliged to use MySQL because my clients have an ISP that offers just
that. I have found that ISPs that offer PostgreSQL tend to be more
expensive.

> 5. How often do your PostgreSQL run into problem or crash? Are most of the
> problem caused by PostgreSQL itself?

I've been using PostgreSQL for about 2 years now and it never crashed once.

Cheers.

--------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
"We waste our time spending money we don't have to buy things we don't need
to impress people we don't like"