No date = bad date?

From: Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)gallery44(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: No date = bad date?
Date: 2003-06-26 20:19:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello all,

I've run into the old "bad date external representation" problem again, but
this time it's due to the date field in question in the text file I'm trying
to \copy into a table being empty. And, no, it's not set to "not null",
which so far as I'm aware would generate a different error message anyway.

Does anyone know of some reason why importing a text file that contains no
data for one date field would cause psql to tell me:

ERROR: copy: line 1, Bad date external representation ''
lost synchronization with server, resetting connection

The field contents are *not* single quoted, but they weren't on the previous
text file that I was able to import successfully either.

Lynna
--
Resource Centre Database Coordinator
Gallery 44