Re: 8.2beta1 failure on IRIX

From: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2beta1 failure on IRIX
Date: 2006-10-04 22:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

Does this version of the patch address your concerns.

Some searching of the net shows that this has been reported before. Once in
the beta for 8.1 and again in January as bug #2192 (It looks like a patch
was included then but wasn't applied).

It seems like only certain versions of IRIX have this problem but I don't
know how common it is or what versions don't have the bug. Unless we want
to drop IRIX from the list of supported platforms we should apply one of the
fixes.

> ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca writes:
>> I'm getting some failures in the regression tests on 8.2beta1 on IRIX.
>> It looks like IRIX (or at least some versions) has a broken strtod.
>> The float4 and float8 tests fail, I've attached a patch to
>> tools/adt/float.c that fixes the problem along with the regression output.
>
> That patch is pretty seriously broken (not only because it's not ifdef'd
> to apply only on the platform that needs it, but because it'll do the
> wrong thing with "infinityinity"). But what I'm really wondering is why
> we've not heard of this before? That code hasn't been changed in quite
> some time.
>
> regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
float_irix_patch.diff text/plain 6.0 KB