Re: a little disillusioned

From: "Frequency UnKnown" <captainmofopants(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a little disillusioned
Date: 2004-01-22 03:49:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

thanks so much to everyone who replied to my posts.

to clarify my previous position, i tried to goad users of the list into
replying by making some deliberately vacuous statements. sometimes this is
all that works. i apologise to everyone who is on a quite obviously active
and helpful list.

a number of people suggested that it was not necessary to instantiate the
class when using tomcat's pooling, however we are using our own pooling
beans which simply take text SQL and return Java objects (with the usual
hassles of opening connections, preparing statements, enumerating through
result sets etc. taken care of). if all else fails i will try this out, but
i would like to keep the site architecture the same as what the team is used
to.

we are using postgres 7.2. i notice we're up to 7.4 now. i have assumed the
changes would be minimal and this wouldn't cause the problem. have there
been any major changes to the way things are initialised?

yes my JAR is in /usr/share/java. tomcat is in /usr/share/jwsdp_1.3. i will
definitely try out the locations inside catalina/common/libs and also within
the tomcat webapp even though this is not generally encouraged. for getting
this application going (our first with tomcat5, living on a box all by
itself) that solution would be slightly better than extracting JARs.

thanks too for clarifying on the classpath: at least i can eliminate some of
the things i've been trying.

as for the tomcat people helping - well after seeing my first posts to this
list you can see how far i got there! if i get this problem sorted i will be
posting solutions to quite a few forums i am now a member of.

thanks a milliion again,
Shelley