Re: how to preserve \n in select statement

From: "Matt Van Mater" <nutter_(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: bruno(at)wolff(dot)to
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to preserve \n in select statement
Date: 2003-12-20 04:23:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

I just don't see why pgsql can't return my data exactly as I entered it. It
wouldn't be hard for me to manipulate it before entry and add another escape
character, but that's not really the point. The point is why is postgresql
changing the data I insert into a field, and not giving me away to get it
back in its original form? I wouldn't have a problem if I was notified
during an insert that my escape characters would be modified, or even if I
was given an error message and the insert failed.

One complaint about MYSQL is that it often does 'the next best thing' and
doesn't notify the user that their command or input has been altered in some
way. It seems like this is the same scenario with pgsql. I think this
behavior stems from a security problem psql had a while back where escape
characters were being interpreted, and this may be another instance of that
functionality.