how to preserve \n in select statement

From: "Matt Van Mater" <nutter_(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to preserve \n in select statement
Date: 2003-12-19 15:06:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a table that has a few text value types, and I enter a bunch of text
with '\n' representing a newline. When I select the records from that
table, postgresql 7.3 represents those \n as newlines and actually outputs
the a newline rather than as a \n as entered. I want to be able to get my
\n text out of the select statement in the exact same manner it was
inserted.

I found a workaround where I can use the copy to command to copy a table to
a text file, and the command preserves the \n characters. The problem with
that is the copy to command overwrites the output file every time it is
written to. That stinks because then I can't run multiple queries and
direct the output to a file all at once. (I would prefer to set the output
file as \o '/path/to/oufile.txt' and have all queries dump their results
there)

Is there a way to make the select statement not interpret newline escape
characters?

Matt Van Mater

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger learn how here!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize