reindexing, pg_class (and other system tables)

From: "Sally Sally" <dedeb17(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: kleptog(at)svana(dot)org
Subject: reindexing, pg_class (and other system tables)
Date: 2004-02-25 22:17:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Very strange things are happening when I am reindexing a table. I did this
with postmaster running as a standalone. The index for the table prior to
reindexing is on a separate disk and I created a sym link (due to lack of
space). When the reindexing is done I see new files created under
/data/base/dbnumber/ but when I look at pg_class table it is pointing still
to the old index because the oid I get is the older one. What does this
mean? I assumed reindexing a non-sys table with postmaster running as a
standalone would also update the relevant tables. Do I have to do a separate
process to update the pg_class and other tables that need to be aware of the
reindexing?
Sally

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx