Re: backup and restore questions

From: "Sally Sally" <dedeb17(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup and restore questions
Date: 2004-02-23 16:28:48
Lists: pgsql-general

I was trying to restore a zipped plain text dump created like this:

pg_dump --table=class --data-only school | gzip > school_class_dump.gz

I tried all the following combinations with pg_restore and it didn't work

cat school_class_dump.gz | gunzip | pg_restore -d school --format=c
error: [archiver] did not find magic string in file header

cat school_class_dump.gz | gunzip | pg_restore -d school
pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

I gunzipped and did
pg_restore -d school school_class_dump
error: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

Does pg_restore really recognize plain text (version 7.4)?
Sally

>From: "V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]"
><sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
>To: Sally Sally <dedeb17(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>CC: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] backup and restore questions
>Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:16:56 +0530
>
>Dear Sally Sally ,
>
>>I had a few questions concerning the backup/restore process for pg.
>> 1) Is it possible to dump data onto an existing database that contains
>>data (assumning the schema of both are the same). Has anyone done this? I
>>am thinking of this in order to expediate the data load process
>
>This can work provided the database are on same system and have have same
>schema not tried though.
>
>> 2) I read that when dumping and restoring data the insert option is
>>safer but slower than copy? Does anyone know from experience how much
>>slower (especially for a database containing millions of records).
>
>If you are real serious about your data best way AFAIK is insert because
>with insert statments you can move around in case
>you upgrade your database or add a new colum in new table but trying to
>restore a old data of the same table.
>On an
>Celeron 900
>PostgreSQL 7.3.4
>RH 9.0
>a 151Kb tared backup takes about 5 Minutes.
>Though data restore depends 99 % on disk throughput 1% on CPU in case of
>plain insert file
>and 90 % on disk throughput and 10 % CPU in case of tared file.
>
>> 3) can pg_restore accept a file that is not archived like a zipped file
>>or plain text file (file.gz or file)
>
>Can use both zipped and Plain. New versions of pg_restore i.e 7.3 >
>identify the file format automatically
>
>> 4) Is the general practise to have one whole dump of a database or
>>several separate dumps (by table etc...)?
>
>One dump for data and other dump for schema will always help.
>
>--
>Regards,
>Vishal Kashyap
>Director / Lead Developer,
>Sai Hertz And Control Systems Pvt Ltd,
>http://saihertz.rediffblogs.com
>~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>You Guys start coding I will take care of what this
>customers needs.
>~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>I Know you believe my words so logon to Jabber.org
>and add vishalkashyap(at)jabber(dot)org to your roster.
> OR
>Seek Me at 264360076
>I am usually called as Vishal Kashyap
>but my Girlfriend calls me as Vishal CASH UP.
>This is because others identify me because of my
>generosity but my Girlfriend identify me because
>of my CASH.

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx