Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

From: "Claudio Lapidus" <clapidus(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc
Date: 2003-08-22 13:15:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2003 at 15:12, Keow Yeong Huat Joseph wrote:
> > I would like to know whether postgresql run on Solaris on Sparc machine?
How
> > can I download if available?
>
> I doubt you will get pre-built binaries. You can download source and
compile.
> It works fine without any problem. Have it here on a test machine.

Here we have two E250 w/Solaris 8 running 7.3.2 in production and everything
is OK.

> but postgresql on solaris is not exactly the best combination from
performance
> point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
> linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.

Why do you say performance is no good? I haven't had the occasion to compare
on similar hardware. Did you?

Besides that, I don't usually select Sun/Solaris for raw performance alone,
in most server applications, stability and availability are much more
important and this is where Solaris shines. And if I need something *really*
fast, I always would try to go with Alpha.

regards
cl.