Inactive memory Grows unlimited

From: "ALVARO ARCILA" <arcila_alvaro(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inactive memory Grows unlimited
Date: 2006-04-21 15:55:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I hope you can help me...there's something wrong going on my db server (OS.
GNU/linux White box)... here's the problem...

The amount of Inactive memory Grows unlimited .... this happens only when
Postgresql (8.1.1) is running... after a few days it "eats" all the RAM
memory ... so I've have to restart the server to free RAM....

Here's the parametres actually active in then postgresql.conf file

max_connections = 100
authentication_timeout = 60
password_encryption = on
shared_buffers = 1000
work_mem = 131076
maintenance_work_mem = 262152
redirect_stderr = on
log_directory = 'pg_log'
log_truncate_on_rotation = on
log_rotation_age = 1440
log_rotation_size = 0
lc_messages = 'es_ES.UTF-8'
lc_monetary = 'es_ES.UTF-8'
lc_numeric = 'es_ES.UTF-8'
lc_time = 'es_ES.UTF-8'

Below you can find the content of meminfo file with 18 users connected
(average during working days) and the server has benn running during 2 days
2:19

#cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 2074844 kB
MemFree: 1371660 kB
Buffers: 61748 kB
Cached: 555492 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 348604 kB
Inactive: 305876 kB
HighTotal: 1179440 kB
HighFree: 579904 kB
LowTotal: 895404 kB
LowFree: 791756 kB
SwapTotal: 2048248 kB
SwapFree: 2048248 kB
Dirty: 260 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 54824 kB
Slab: 35756 kB
Committed_AS: 117624 kB
PageTables: 3404 kB
VmallocTotal: 106488 kB
VmallocUsed: 3356 kB
VmallocChunk: 102920 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB

thanks in advance for your help,

Alvaro Arcila

pd: sorry for my english It's not very good, I hope I'm clear....