libpq - getting value of SERIAL field when INSERT-ing?

From: Roy's Email <rmw256(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: libpq - getting value of SERIAL field when INSERT-ing?
Date: 2011-08-31 00:08:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Using libpq, how do I get the return value from an INSERT statement?

CREATE TABLE foo ( pk SERIAL , val text, PRIMARY KEY (pk) );
INSERT INTO foo VALUES ( DEFAULT, 'stuff' ) RETURNING (pk);

How do I get the value assigned to 'pk'? I assume it's in the 'PGresult' returned from 'PQexec()', but I can't find anything in the documentation for 'PGresult' that appears to discuss this particular use.

Regards,

- Roy

=*=*=
Always do right.
This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. - Oscar Wilde