Asynchronous commit | Transaction loss at server crash

From: Balkrishna Sharma <b_ki(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Asynchronous commit | Transaction loss at server crash
Date: 2010-05-20 16:54:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,Couple of questions:1. For the 'Asynchronous commit' mode, I know that WAL transactions not flushed to permanent storage will be lost in event of a server crash. Is it possible to know what were the non-flushed transactions that were lost, in any shape/form/part ? I guess not, but wanted to confirm.
2. If above is true, then for my application 'Asynchronous commit' is not an option. In that case, how is it possible to increase the speed of 'Synchronous Commit' ? Can a SDD rather than HDD make a difference ? Can throwing RAM have an impact ? Is there some test somewhere of how much RAM will help to beef up the write process (for synch commit).
I need to support several hundreds of concurrent update/inserts from an online form with pretty low latency (maybe couple of milliseconds at max). Think of a save to database at every 'tab-out' in an online form.
Thanks,-Bala