Persistent user-defined functions

From: David T <intrepid__x(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Persistent user-defined functions
Date: 2008-03-28 03:10:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 with PostgreSQL 8.2. I have just finished creating two C functions and have successfully loaded them using "CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION" ... This was an extremely smooth process, and I have a lot of respect for the dev team for creating such a robust system.

Anyway - I would like these new functions to be permanently available to a database, or to all databases. These functions will ultimately be called from PHP, where there is no guarantee of server state in between requests (maybe a reboot occurs and my functions are lost, etc...). On the other hand, it is inefficient to "CREATE OR REPLACE" all the time. Can anybody suggest a lightweight method to keep these functions permanently available, or point me towards a resource that might assist?

Best regards,

Dave.
This Valentine's Day, get creative and show your sweetheart how much you care with flair! Find fun date ideas here!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/224