Re: How to speed up min/max(id) in 50M rows table?

From: henk de wit <henk53602(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to speed up min/max(id) in 50M rows table?
Date: 2007-10-12 23:48:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

>select min(time) from transactions where payment_id is null
>So for that situation I tried whether a specific index helped, i.e. :
>create index transactions__time_payment_id__null__idx on transactions(time) where payment_id is null;
>But this does not really seem to help. It might be better to see if I can refactor the DB design though to not use nulls.

I was posting too fast again, the previous index -does- work, making the above query instant (<50ms) :) I actually mis-typed the test query before (it's rather late at my place):

select min(payment_id) from transactions where payment_id is null

Although not useful, it's an interesting case. One would say that it could return quickly, but it takes 26 minutes to execute this.