Utilizing multiple cores for one query

From: henk de wit <henk53602(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Utilizing multiple cores for one query
Date: 2007-12-01 13:21:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

I wonder whether the current versions of postgres (i.e. either 8.2 or 8.3) are able to utilize multiple cores for the execution of a single query?

This is one thing that systems like SQL Server and Oracle have been able to do for quite some time. I haven't seen much in the documentation that hints that this may be possible in PG, nor did I find much in the mailinglists about this. The only thing I found was a topic that discussed some patches that may eventually lead to a sequence scan being handled by multiple cores.

Could someone shed some light on the current or future abilities of PG for making use of multiple cores to execute a single query?

Thanks in advance