Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP

From: "John Coulthard" <bahhab(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server via PHP
Date: 2007-08-09 14:51:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I'm trying to set up a new webserver running php and pgsql. PHP was
connecting to postgres but I needed to install the php-gd module and now I
get the error...

"PHP Warning: pg_connect() [<a
href='function.pg-connect'>function.pg-connect</a>]: Unable to connect to
PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Permission denied\n\tIs the
server running on host &quot;localhost&quot; and accepting\n\tTCP/IP
connections on port 5432?"

.... and I'm at a loss can anyone tell me why it's not connecting?

Thanks

This bit's I know are...
http://xyala.cap.ed.ac.uk/php_info.php say's php's configured for pgsql

[#(at)xyala]# telnet localhost 5432
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[#(at)xyala]#

[#(at)xyala]# less /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

#local all all ident sameuser
local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
#host all all 127.0.0.1/32 ident sameuser
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
#host all all ::1/128 ident sameuser
host all all ::1/128 trust

[#(at)xyala]# grep 'listen' /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
# "pg_ctl reload". Some settings, such as listen_address, require
#listen_addresses = 'localhost' # what IP interface(s) to listen on;
listen_addresses = '*'
[#(at)xyala]#

[#(at)xyala]# less /etc/php.d/pgsql.ini
; Enable pgsql extension module
extension=pgsql.so

the server I'm going to replace is running the same versions of PHP and
postgres http://zeldia.cap.ed.ac.uk/php_info.php
The /etc/php.ini files on the two machines are the same and the
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf files are only different because I've
set listen_addresses = '*' on the new server (xyala) to see if I can make it
work.