Re: Zen and art if WAL and dump file mainteance

From: dx k9 <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: posgres support <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Zen and art if WAL and dump file mainteance
Date: 2008-01-29 01:47:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

I notice in 'pg_data' that a file will stay in pg_xlog until it passes 16 MB, then it goes to the archive pretty much right away. So, when it's busy you get a lot of files swapping into the archive , but when it's not you can get one file taking an hour or more to get up to 16 MB before it swaps over to the archive. In reading the documentation "every 5 minutes or 36 log file segments which ever is first" - - 74 files in my case. But I noticed when it's slow it's more it can be longer than 5 minutes. I'm thinking the "5 minutes or 36 log segments" rule applies to just after files hit 16 MB in size, until then, they are building up.

Does that all sound right?> To: bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com> CC: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org> Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Zen and art if WAL and dump file mainteance > Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:27:05 -0500> From: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> > dx k9 <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:> > We are trying to figure out why maintenance on A (zipping up & removing files) would have an affect on production processing (killed it) on pgdata - B.> > Sounds like an OOM kill problem --- do you have memory overcommit> disabled on that machine?> > regards, tom lane