Re: Password issue revisited

From: "Michael Schmidt" <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password issue revisited
Date: 2007-01-28 17:06:58
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Mr. Lane and Mr. Momjian,
Well, I asked and I got an answer. So be it. Regarding how I concluded that PGPASSFILE was deprecated for pg_dump, I offer the following.

1. The documentation for pg_dump in the manual (Section VI) includes a section labeled "Environment". This lists PGDATABASE, PGHOST, PGPORT, and PGUSER. It also says "default connection parameters" but there is no hyperlink or reference to another manual section to explain/define this term.

2. Neither the Index nor the Table of Contents has an entry for "connection parameters" or "default connection parameters".

3. The application help (pg_dump --help) provides no further information.

4. The pg_dump documentation in Section VI has a "See Also" section, with a link to 29.12. In 29.12 there is a list of variables that "can be used to select default connection parameters" for PQconnectdb, PQsetdbLogin, and PQsetdb (no mention of pg_dump). The list includes those mentioned in the pg_dump documentation () see 1 above) along with several others (including PGPASSFILE). I was left wondering why would some of these be mentioned in the pg_dump section and not the others? Perhaps those not mentioned can't be used by pg_dump?

Given the above ambiguities, I was not able to conclude that pg_dump would accept the PGPASSFILE environment variable.

Michael Schmidt