backup through Java

From: "Michael Schmidt" <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL JDBC" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: backup through Java
Date: 2007-07-13 00:01:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Folks,
I know this isn't technically a JDBC question because backup isn't done through JDBC, but I thought this is where the Java experts would be.

I've got a Java application developed in Eclipse interfacing a PostgreSQL 8.2.1 database. The user can do a backup using pg-dump.exe - the Java code invokes this as an external process in a thread (Jobs interface, in Eclipse parlance). This works some of the time - but not always. Since it works sometimes, I think the Java code that invokes pg_dump.exe is basically OK, but since it hangs at other times, there is obviously something bad going on. I don't know where to start looking for problems. I was wondering if anyone had seen similar behavior (Java is usually pretty predictable in my experience) or had some thoughts on where the problem could lie so I could at least begin debugging my app.

Thanks!
Michael Schmidt