Backup file extension

From: "Michael Schmidt" <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Backup file extension
Date: 2006-02-24 18:15:32
Lists: pgsql-general

I am writing a client GUI application and am adding backup/restore features. I noticed that different backup file extensions are used for PostgreSQL - pgAdmin uses .backup (possible problem because it is not consistent with 8.3 file names) and PG Lightning Admin uses .bak (possible problem because it is generic). To reduce the chance of the user making an error, I was wondering if it would make sense to standardize PostgreSQL backup file extension names - something like .pgb (PostgreSQL Backup). I Googled .pgb and it doesn't look like anything uses this extension.

Just a thought.

Michael Schmidt