Re: Trigger function to know which fields are being updated

From: "Bernard Cheung" <cheungsw(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger function to know which fields are being updated
Date: 2004-05-11 07:09:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thank you, but my intension is to check whether the user supplies NAME when
updating the record.

For example the trigger shall allow statement 1 and block statement 2:

1. UPDATE COMPANY SET NAME = 'ABC', ADDRESS = '123 Drive' WHERE COMPANY_ID =
1;

2. UPDATE COMPANY SET ADDRESS = '123 Drive' WHERE COMPANY_ID = 1;

I want the trigger to ensure that the user must provide value for NAME when
updating this record.