Restoring pg_dump's made using COPY commands

From: "Mike Miller" <temp6453(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restoring pg_dump's made using COPY commands
Date: 2004-02-17 02:59:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,
I'm trying to restore two dumps, one from 7.1.3 and the other from a 6.5.3
series PgSQL server. These dumps were both made using standard 'pg_dump >
output' commands (specifying the host where needed on one of them). When I
run the database restore by doing execute-file in psql, piping the file to
psql, or even attempting pg_restore (whcih doesn't work on these plain text
databases), I receive messages pertaining to:
invalid command \N
invalid command \.
parse error at the end of line
<occasionally messages about missing fields>

However this dump just came from a pg_dump, so it really should be working.
I've tried every combination of pg_dump and psql versions from 7.4.1, 7.3.3,
7.1.3, 6.5.3 in order to get this to work right without any luck.

Can anyone help me out with what is wrong? I'm looking to make this a
backup method, and if I can't restore the data, it doesn't do me much good
(and I'm trying to restore some existing data). Ultimately want to move
them all up to 7.4.x

Any ideas as to what causes these errors? Anything I can do to fix the
output of pg_dump?

Thanks!
-Mike