Re: BLOB support

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOB support
Date: 2011-06-03 16:03:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Radosław Smogura
<rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu> wrote:
> 1. No tracking of unused LO (you store just id of such object). You may leak
> LO after row remove/update. User may write triggers for this, but it is not
> argument - BLOB type is popular, and it's simplicity of use is quite
> important. When I create app this is worst thing.
>
> 2. No support for casting in UPDATE/INSERT. So there is no way to simple
> migrate data (e.g. from too long varchars). Or to copy BLOBs.
>
> 3. Limitation of field size to 1GB.

As a general point, it would probably be a good idea to address each
of these issues separately, and to have a separate discussion about
each one.

As to #1 specifically, if you use a text or bytea field rather than a
large object per se, then this issue goes away. But then you lose the
streaming functionality. So at least some people here are saying that
we should try to fix that by adding the streaming functionality to
text/bytea rather than by doing anything to the large object facility.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company