Re: GSoC 2011: Fast GiST index build

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2011: Fast GiST index build
Date: 2011-04-27 06:51:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Since algorithm is focused to reduce I/O, we should expect best
> acceleration in the case when index doesn't fitting to memory. Size of
> buffers is comparable to size of whole index. It means that if we can hold
> buffers in memory then we mostly can hold whole index in memory. That's why
> I think we should have simple on-disk buffers management for first
> representative benchmark.

Since we need to free all buffers after index built, I believe that buffers
should be stored separately. If not, index become bloat immediatly after
creation. We probably need to create a temporary relation to store buffers
in it. If my thought is right, then is there any example of using temporary
relation?

----
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.