Re: Postgresql on itanium server

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: muthu krishnan <muthu(dot)krishnan(dot)linux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jochen Erwied <jochen(at)pgsql-performance(dot)erwied(dot)eu>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql on itanium server
Date: 2011-06-09 10:45:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 13:03, muthu krishnan
<muthu(dot)krishnan(dot)linux(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thank you for suggesting the valuable URL, we are getting 3 "floating point
> assist fault" error for every second, will it impact the performance for
> postgresql?

Probably.

The kernel throttles these messages, so you're probably performing
many more of these calculations than the number of messages.

> Is there any option to turn on "flush to zero mode" in itanium cpu while
> compiling postgresql from source?

As the URL mentions, you can build with CFLAGS=-ffast-math, that
should work for PostgreSQL too.

But since you know you're operating with denormal numbers, you WILL
get different results to queries. Whether that's a problem for you
depends on your application. You could start getting division by zero
errors for instance.

Regards,
Marti