Re: Time to put theory to the test?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: J Sisson <sisson(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to put theory to the test?
Date: 2011-04-26 15:54:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 17:51, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> J Sisson <sisson(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Granted, my knowledge of PostgreSQL (and even MSSQL) far surpasses my
>> knowledge of MySQL, but if InnoDB has such amazing benefits as being
>> crash safe, and even speed increases in some instances, why isn't
>> InnoDB default?
>
> It *is* default in the most recent versions (5.5 and up).  They saw
> the light eventually.  I wonder whether being bought out by Oracle
> had something to do with that attitude adjustment ...

Oracle has owned innodb for quite some time. MySQL didn't want to make
themselves dependant on an Oracle controlled technology. That argument
certainly went away when Oracle bought them - and I think that was the
main reason. Not the "oracle mindset" or anything like that...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/