Re: what is the best way of storing text+image documents in postgresql

From: Arash pajoohande <apajoohande(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what is the best way of storing text+image documents in postgresql
Date: 2011-06-10 07:04:18
Lists: pgsql-general

hello all and thank you for your advices
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr> wrote:

> Le mercredi 08 juin 2011 à 14:43 +0430, Arash pajoohande a écrit :
>
> > and documents must display on web page when corresponding user
> > requests occurs.
>
> I wonder why that is? is there any reason you can't just store and serve
> the binary content as is, simply letting the proper application (Word in
> that case) open it?

that is because MS Word may hasn't been installed in user machine to handle
the page.

Actually, my word files consists of many exam questions. for each user, a
random subset of questions must selected and displayed.
it seem's that it would be nice if I have each question as an easy to handle
document section (e.g. html div) and display them without need of any other
application.
for now, i think the best solution for me is to convert each question as an
RTF type format, and run that through a preprocessor that reencodes them as
a clean HTML (as john r pierce suggested).

thanks in advance
Arash