Re: DROP TABLE Appears to Fail

From: Rick Genter <rick(dot)genter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DROP TABLE Appears to Fail
Date: 2011-06-28 22:57:17
Lists: pgsql-general

After issuing the \d you are still in the middle of your command. Witness
the following copy/paste of a terminal session:

bash-3.2$ ./psql
Password:
psql (8.4.4)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# create table foo (bar int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# drop table foo
postgres-# \d
List of relations
Schema | Name | Type | Owner
--------+------+-------+----------
public | foo | table | postgres
(1 row)

postgres-# drop table foo;
ERROR: syntax error at or near "drop"
LINE 2: drop table foo;
^
postgres=# drop table foo;
DROP TABLE
postgres=#

This is on 8.4.4. The semicolon is required.