Re: pgAdmin III commit: Database Designer (milestone 1 of GSoC 2011)

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III commit: Database Designer (milestone 1 of GSoC 2011)
Date: 2011-06-29 19:08:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wednesday, June 29, 2011, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:16 AM, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I can change that class name, but when should  I do that, now or
>> later?
>> which name can be used?
>
> Now would be better - I prefer not to leave the tree in a state where
> we know major restructuring is required for too long. Name-wise, I'd
> call the module "hotdraw", and prefix the class naes with "hd".
>
> Well, I think "hotdraw" name standalone can be a problem because this is the name of the original implementation, and that could lead to confuse developers who work with source the code in the future, I suggest then something hd only and the prefix will be hd too. What do you think about this?

hd works for me.

>>> Well, docs will be done at the end.
>
> End of what? If this is a milestone commit, then it presumably (I
> hope) encompasses some completed functionality - which really isn't
> complete until the docs are done. With the best will in the world,
> things left to the end of GSoC projects often don't get completed as
> planned, and I'd rather not see us end up with another cool, but
> undocumented feature.
>
> Well I didn't write that sentence (following the thread) or anything about writing docs at my project/proposal (or before), because I never got a petition of doing that kind of things now or before, and they aren't included at my schedule. But I can do that if someone tell me what Should I do?.

No sorry - that was directed at Guillaume.

I don't want to throw your GSoC schedule into turmoil, so I'm not
going to insist on docs now (though I would expect them by the end of
the project), but the project has always had an unwritten rule that
any new features should include the docs - we've just been lax about
enforcing it. That cannot continue though - we really need to become
more disciplined.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com