Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance advice for a new low(er)-power server
Date: 2011-06-17 13:29:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> it's complex -- but I think the whole issue becomes moot soon because
> non consumer flash drives from here on out are going to have
> capacitors in them (the 720 ramsdale will immediately knock out the
> x25-e). So the prudent course of action is to wait, or to just go with
> the current crop capacitor based drives and deal with the lifespan
> issues.

I may have spoke too soon on this -- the 720 is a pci-e device...spec
details are just now leaking out (see:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/16/intels-710-lyndonville-and-720-ramsdale-ssds-see-full-spec/).
512mb onboard dram and "56k" write iops, and probably stupid
expensive. The 710 is a standard sata device with 2.4k claimed write
iops, using "HET" MLC about which there is zero information available.

merlin