Re: converting databases form SQL_ASCII to UTF8

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: converting databases form SQL_ASCII to UTF8
Date: 2011-04-22 15:05:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Geoffrey Myers <
lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com> wrote:

> Here's our problem. We planned on moving databases a few at a time.
> Problem is, there is a process that pushes data from one database to
> another. If this process attempts to push data from a SQL_ASCII database to
> a new UTF8 database and it has one of these characters mentioned above, the
> process fails.

The database's enforcement of the encoding should be the last layer that
does so. Your applications should be enforcing strict utf-8 encoding from
start to finish. Once this is done, and the old data already in the DB is
properly encoded as utf-8, then there should be no problems switching on the
utf-8 encoding in postgres to get that final layer of verification.