Re: Reseting statistics, cluster wide

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)megafon(dot)hr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reseting statistics, cluster wide
Date: 2011-04-20 20:49:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Mario Splivalo
<mario(dot)splivalo(at)megafon(dot)hr>wrote:

> I have set up munin monitoring that plots nice graphs using
> pg_stat_bgwriter and pg_stat_database views. It has been on for quite some
> time now, and the numbers those views return are too big for munin to
> handle. I would like to reset those statistics. As explained by manual,
> pg_stat_reset() resets only db-related statistics, not the ones used
> cluster-wide. Is there a way to reset those? I don't mind stopping the
> server if I need to, but I'd realy like to have those started all over
> again.

Currently we don't have such feature to reset statistics on cluster level.
You have to use two PostgreSQL functions like pg_stat_reset_shared(text),
pg_stat_reset ().

There are a few statistics that are only kept on a per-cluster basis, such
as those reported in pg_stat_database and pg_stat_bgwriter. Since
pg_stat_reset only resets per-database statistics.

psql=# select pg_stat_reset();

psql=# select pg_stat_reset_shared('bgwritter'); -- It will reset the
statistics shown by pg_stat_bgwritter.

--Raghu Ram